Last updated: 29 January 2020
By using the Remote Student Exchange ("Service"), you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions ("Terms of Service").
Remote Student Exchange Organization ("Organization") reserves the right to update and change these Terms of Service without notice.
Violation of any of the terms below may result in the termination of your account.
- The Organization cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation.
- You are responsible for all content posted and activity that occurs under your account (even when content is posted by others who have their own logins under your account).
- You may not use the Service for any illegal purpose or to violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright laws).
- You must provide your legal full name, a valid email address, and any other information requested in order to complete the signup process.
- Accounts registered by “bots” or other automated methods are not permitted.
- Children under the age of 13 are not allowed to create an Account or otherwise use the Services.
Cancellation and Termination
- You are solely responsible for properly canceling your account. You can cancel your account at any time by clicking on the Account Settings link in the global navigation bar at the top of the screen. The Account Settings screen provides a simple no-questions-asked cancellation link.
- All of your content will be inaccessible from the Service immediately upon cancellation. Within 30 days, all content will be permanently deleted from backups and logs. This information can not be recovered once it has been permanently deleted.
- The Remote Student Exchange, in its sole discretion, has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Service for any reason at any time. Such termination of the Service will result in the deactivation or deletion of your Account or your access to your Account, and the forfeiture and relinquishment of all content in your account. The Organization reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.
Modifications to the Service
- The Organization reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, any part of the Service with or without notice.
- The Organization shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
Copyright and Content Ownership
- All content posted on the Service must comply with U.S. copyright law.
- We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you provide to the Service. All materials uploaded remain yours.
- Remote Student Exchange brings educators who would like to open their courses to external students and students together. We are not responsible from the courses advertised on the RSE website.
- Your use of the Service is at your sole risk. The service is provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis.
- Technical support is not guaranteed.
- You understand that the Organization uses third party vendors and hosting partners to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage, and related technology required to run the Service.
- You must not modify, adapt or hack the Service.
- You must not modify another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with the Service or the Organization.
- You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the Service, use of the Service, or access to the Service without the express written permission by the Organization.
- We may, but have no obligation to, remove content and accounts that we determine in our sole discretion are unlawful or violates any party’s intellectual property or these Terms of Service.
- Verbal, physical, written or other abuse (including threats of abuse or retribution) of any Service customer, Organization member or officer will result in immediate account termination.
- You understand that the technical processing and transmission of the Service, including your content, may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
- We reserve the right to temporarily disable your account if your usage significantly exceeds the average usage of other Service customers. Of course, we'll reach out to the account owner before taking any action except in rare cases where the level of use may negatively impact the performance of the Service for other customers.
- The Organization does not warrant that (i) the service will meet your specific requirements, (ii) the service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, (iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of the service will be accurate or reliable, (iv) the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the service will meet your expectations, and (v) any errors in the Service will be corrected.
- You expressly understand and agree that the Organization shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if the Organization has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from: (i) the use or the inability to use the service; (ii) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (iii) statements or conduct of any third party on the service; (iv) or any other matter relating to the service.
- The failure of the Organization to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. The Terms of Service constitutes the entire agreement between you and the Organization and govern your use of the Service, superceding any prior agreements between you and the Organization (including, but not limited to, any prior versions of the Terms of Service).
- Questions about the Terms of Service should be sent to email@example.com.
Conditions Regarding Students
- By using RSE, you accept that all the information you provide is truthful.
- You register for only one account.
- You accept other rules laid out by content providers and educators when you register.
You accept that getting admitted to a course that is offered in RSE does not:
- Enroll you in any institution as a student,
- Grant a legal relationship with the content provider, professor, or other students,
- Entitle you to use the resources of any institution beyond participation in the class,
- Entitle you to distribute the content or materials provided in the course.
Any new features that augment or enhance the current Service, including the release of new tools and resources, shall be subject to the Terms of Service. Continued use of the Service after any such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes.
Adapted from the Basecamp open-source policies.